Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why can't all restaurants have nutritional information?

Really though... if the restaurant is a chain, I expect them to have a nutritional menu.
Tonight Mikey and I went out to dinner with his parents to Z'Tejas- a Tex-Mex restaurant. While the food there is nearly always excellent, I'm certain that it's horrible for me. I tried to cut back by counting the tortilla chips I ate and ordering a salad. All in all it was a lot of fun, and a few not-so-calorie-light meals aren't going to kill me.


Now onto the food!


Lunch: (No, I didn't eat breakfast today, so what it's a Saturday- that's my excuse anyway.)
PB&JCottage Cheese with Peaches
I made my all-time favorite sandwich- Peanut Butter and Jelly! Only, I used Nutzo instead of plain, old peanut butter. Normally I only make half PB&Js with just one slice of bread and one tbsp of peanut butter buuutt I wanted a full sized sandwich today :D. I like to toast the bread to add another layer of crunch; plus, it kind of makes the nut butter all melty. My jam of choice lately is Strawberry Freezerves. I love it because the fruit in it has never been cooked or boiled; it's just really fresh fruit. You just store the jam in your freezer or fridge.
I also had a bowl of cottage cheese and peaches on the side. I love the combo of fruit and cottage cheese!

  • 2 slices Trader Joe's Oat & Honey Bread (180cal)
  • 2tbsp Nutzo (180cal)
  • 1tbsp Strawberry Freezerves (45cal)
  • 1/2 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese (80cal)
  • 95g Peach Slices (35cal)
=520 calories

Dinner:
Our original plan this evening was to go to Boom Noodle which I LOVE and feel comfortable ordering at because I know that the dish I always get (the Shiitake Soba Noodle Bowl) is healthy and low-cal, but a last minute change of plans led to Z'Tejas. Don't get me wrong, I love Z'Tejas and have eaten there countless times, I just know the food is calorie-dense and they don't provide a nutritional menu.
We started out with an appetizer of tortilla chips with salsa, guacamole, and a cheese dip. It was very good and I was sure to count the chips that I ate. For my entree I chose a mixed greens salad with a salmon fillet, walnuts, goat cheese, and a sundried tomato vinaigrette. The salad was quite delicious and, I thought, a very nice healthy option. Obviously these calorie counts are just guesses.
  • 15 tortilla chips (200cal)
  • 1tbsp Guacamole (25cal)
  • 2tbsp Cheese Dip (50cal)
  • Salmon Salad (550cal)
=825 calories

=1345 calories for the day

No comments:

Post a Comment