Monday, April 5, 2010

Work it baby, then indulge :)

I'd like to point out that at this point in time, I am now only counting calories when it is convenient for me (that's why some things have calorie calculations while others do not). Otherwise, I just stress out too much wondering how many calories were in the sandwich I ordered for dinner, or the soup I had for lunch, etc. But, I do keep portion sizes in mind, and often guesstimate calorie counts for foods I'm unsure of :)


I slept through my first class (luckily only a big lecture hall) today thanks (or not!) to my lightning fast hands that have a mid of their own when the alarm goes off. I managed to make it to my 10:30am class though.
Lunch today was a delicious 1/2 sandwich (230cal) and leftover quinoa salad with chips and crackers that I packed last night.
Lunch
Sandwich:

The chips were Food Should Taste Good multigrain, and the crackers are Dr. Kracker's Sunflower Cheddar.
Yummy lunch (probably around 500-600 calories?)!

At around 7pm my tummy was a-rumbling again. I decided I really wanted to try out a raw vegan place pretty close to home called Thrive. I got the "Thrivalicious" warm grain bowl:
  • Quinoa paired with Salsa, fresh seasonal veggies (which were cucumbers, zucchini, matchstick carrots, and red bell pepper), Guacamole, and Onion Cashew Cream.
Steamed Quinoa Bowl with Fresh Veggies, Guacamole, Salsa, and Cashew Cream- RAW!


The highlight was definitely the cashew cream which totally made the bowl! The guacamole was just alright, and the salsa was more like pico de gallo. It was quite good, and I would get it again, but next time probably to-go. The mood and atmosphere of the place was rather pretentious in a "I'm better than you because I lead a raw life" style. Also, it was QUITE expensive. My bowl was $12 for something I could have made at home only better (minus the heavenly cashew cream), and Mikey got a large fresh-squeezed orange juice that was a whopping $8!!!

Peak's Custard is directly next door so after I ate, we stopped in to get some tasty dessert! I got the Custard Affogato which is just a scoop of the vanilla custard topped with a shot of espresso- AMAZING! Mikey got the "Mt. Olympus" which is just a basic turtle sundae; I definitely had to steal some of the delicious caramel and pecans.
Custard Affogato
(Obviously iPhone photos, sorry for the quality :/)

Just an hour later it was time to hit up the gym! I really would have preferred to digest a bit more but the gym closes at 10:30 so I like to be out the door by 9 in order to get my full hour workout.
I had an excellent workout on the elliptical- I decided to work it pretty hard:
-60 minutes (6 miles in 53:50!!! then cool down)
-186 bpm average heart rate (high I know but I wasn't concentrating on keeping it down today
-727 calories burned
-6.46 miles total
I'm pretty proud of myself for averaging a bit under 9min/mile especially considering I was averaging about 9:20/mile after 3 miles; I really picked it up at the end!

I finally got hungry (after a super hard workout it takes me a while to feel like eating again) at around midnight and spent the next half hour walking from the pantry to the fridge trying to decide what I wanted. I noticed a lone green apple that I had snagged from the El Gaucho (just about the swankiest steakhouse ever) fruit platter we were presented when we took my sister there last week and thought that it would probably go bad soon so I needed to use it. I noticed some Tillamook sharp cheddar (not the white, the orange!) slice in the fridge and it all came together. I made a Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Sharp Cheddar and Green Apple. You have absolutely no clue how magnificent this sandwich was... as in Top 10 Sandwiches of all time material.
Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Sharp Cheddar and Green Apple
I (somewhat) slowly scrambled 2 large eggs (148cal) over medium-low heat with a ton of fresh ground pepper, some grey sea salt, and a nice big ol' helping of butter to make them creamy (the only way to make scrambled eggs)- maybe a tablespoon (100cal). Then I sliced up the apple and toasted 2 slices of Trader Joe's Honey & Oat Bread (180cal)- also slathered with about a teaspoon of butter each (66cal) (Hey, I never said it was a healthy sandwich!). I took one slice of toast and laid the slice of sharp cheddar (90cal) on the butter side and then topped that with the warm eggs so that the cheese began to melt. That was topped with two apple slices and then the other piece of toast- butter side in.
Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Sharp Cheddar and Green Apple
Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Sharp Cheddar and Green Apple
While the eggs were cooking, I snacked on some of the remaining apple slices (maybe 80cal in apple all together) with about a tablespoon of Nuttzo (180cal).
Granny Smith and Nuttzo
Best midnight meal ever (though incredible calorie dense at 800-900 calories, I think, that's okay though because I burned around 750 at the gym)!

No comments:

Post a Comment