Sunday, March 7, 2010

Discouraged, but hanging in there!

I'm beginning to get discouraged with my weight loss (as I often do) because it isn't going fast enough. Deep down I know that this is ridiculous as 1-2 pounds each week is normal, but I can't help it. I feel as though I've lost nothing this week and I know it is my own fault for eating so terribly. It's times like these when I just need a little push to keep things going. Here are a few great motivational quotes that really put things in perspective:

  • "It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up."
  • "You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."
  • "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
  • "You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there."
  • "The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!"
  • "The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places."
Little quotes like that help keep me strong and my goals in sight :).

Anyways, today was a busy busy day.
I went to the pharmacy to get some prescriptions filled. From there, Mikey and I went to the Burke Museum, which I had to visit for an extra credit opportunity in my Archaeology class. That took quite a bit of time as I had to go to certain portions of the museum to take notes, but luckily I have been there before, so I had at least a feeling of where I needed to be.

We didn't get around to eating until after the museum :(. I was really hungry. We decided to go to the Macaroni Grill on the way home, and boy am I glad we did! It was so yummy in my tummy :). I I immediately ordered a cup of black coffee because it was cold and rainy out (for as beautiful as it was out yesterday, it was equally as ugly today) To eat I got:
  • Honey Balsamic Chicken: Grilled chicken with honey balsamic glaze. Served with sun-dried tomato capellini pasta and grilled broccoli (though my broccoli was most definitely steamed)
The entire dish is 640 calories which is really low considering how much food you get. I could only eat half! I also snacked on the delicious salty, rosemary bread they bring to the table.
  • 1/2 Honey Balsamic Chicken (320cal)
  • Rosemary bread (130cal)
=450 calories

We actually went to the gym this evening! I love getting in work outs and I'm going to make a better effort to get them in every day as I know they will expedite the weight loss process.

By the way, I think I should touch on my weight loss goals a bit. I'm not exactly sure how much weight I want to lose (I know I originally said something like 10 pounds but I've lost around there and I'm still not happy with my weight), but what I do know is what I want to look like. I want a strong, healthy body with less fat :). So, this could mean that I don't lose much more weight, but instead build more muscle (which in turn burns fat!). 
In the interest of being completely honest with myself, I decided I might as well post my weight/measurements/body fat. Right now my body fat is around 20% (as tested at home with a printable tape measure, hah so may or may not be completely accurate though it claims to be fairly accurate), and I'd like it to be around 18%. I weigh 133 lbs at 5'7" and my measurements are:
waist (at narrowest part): 26"
hips (at widest part): 36"
wrist (at narrowest): 5.8"
neck: 12" (I think? This was hard to do)
calf (with weight on dominant leg at widest part): 13.1"
Thigh (widest part of upper thigh- ugh the worst): 20"
I feel like these look better in writing than on my body.
Questions/comments/opinions/advice on my weight loss/whatever would be greatly appreciated :D!

ANYWAYS, at the gym I had a hard cardio workout on the elliptical. It was going really well until 2.75 miles in when I developed a ridiculous cramp that felt as if was being stabbed in the abdomen and my vision began to blur. It started to get hard to breathe and I knew what was coming next if I didn't stop- I was going to pass out. So, I somehow managed to finish the third mile, and then I couldn't even handle a cool down. I stumbled my way to the mat and collapsed. I'm fairly certain this was all due to the fact that I really needed to eat as I had just burned roughly the same amount of calories I had eaten all day.
My workout was still pretty good despite the disastrous end. I did 3 miles in 24:45. That's 8:15/mile. I burned 310 calories.
When we got home I immediately made a big ol' nutrient-dense green smoothie.
Green Smoothie
It made me feel SO much better! The mix included:
  • 1 big banana (110cal)
  • 1 small original yogurt with strawberries that I had from Red Mango in the freezer (100cal)
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (27cal)
  • 2 big lacinato kale leaves (negligible)
  • 2 tbsp creamy natural peanut butter (190cal)
  • 3 ice cubes
=427 calories

You just cannot comprehend how amazing and revitalizing that smoothie was!
A bit later, after a couple hours of lab write-ups, I decided to have dinner. I tried to make it SUPER calorie-dense since I clearly was in need of calories. I had my leftovers from earlier, half a sandwich, some applesauce, and a pickle:
Too much food
=675 calories- It was soooo much food, ack! I'm full.

=1422 calorie - 310 calories burned
=1112 net calories for the day

4 comments:

  1. Hi - I've been following your blog for a few weeks now because I, like you, am very focused on healthy eating. I've definitely had the same discouraging days that you are having right now. However, I just wanted to mention that when I am trying to "lose weight" or look and feel better, I don't weigh myself. This may sound contradictory.... but I go by how I look, how I fit into my clothes, how my energy levels feel to keep myself on track. If you are concerned with losing body fat, maybe you should concentrate on toning up (focus on the tightness of muscle) rather than your actual weight number. Muscle actually weighs more than fat! Anyways, this is just my take on the battle. But, keep up the good work. I really enjoy your blog and like your take on creative, healthy cooking and eating. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment!
    I actually think that is great advice. I think I am definitely looking too much to the number on the scale to tell me how I should feel about my body (which is a problem I've certainly had for a while and constantly try to shake). Maybe it would be better if I just concentrate on measurements in the form of inches as apposed to pounds.
    I know that I'm making progress, there's just that constant feeling in the back of my mind that it isn't fast enough- which I am well aware is stupid since you aren't supposed to lose more than 2 pound each week before it gets unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago, and I was looking at your blog because I try to eat healthy but still allow myself to indulge. I am around your size (5'7, anywhere from 130-135, depending on how I've been eathing that week, ha) and I have always wanted to be down to 125, but my body always stays in the range that I am at now...and I am happy with it, because I'm thin but still curvy, and fit from working out too! Just make sure you recognize when your body has had enough, and is at its "comfortable" weight...trust me you are thin enough and look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comment!
    Yeah, I think my main issue is that I just always have a number in my head of what the scale should read, which I know is completely silly. My body has never really wanted to go below about 130, no mater how hard I push it, so I think this is probably my "happy weight."
    And you know, most days I am pretty happy with it, but like all women (I think) I get discouraged some days- dang hormones!

    ReplyDelete