Sunday, May 30, 2010

Eat Your Veggies!

You're going to be seeing a lot of me this week! I decided that I haven't been eating enough veggies lately, so I'm making a push towards cleaning up my food. Blogging helps me hold myself to my goals :P. Oh annnnd I may even be counting calories ha ha.


Anyyywayyys,  after some cleaning, I started off the day with a fistful of vitamins and supplements and a green smoothie!
IMG_2736
I tried something different with my smoothie today. Instead of my usual blob of nut butter, I added in some peanut butter chips that I've had in the pantry from a baking endeavor. I got them at Whole Foods and they are made using Maranatha peanut butter which is one of my favorite brands. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as usual. It was by no means bad, and it was fun sipping up little chunks of peanut butter chip, but it just can't compete with a big ol' blob of nut butter plopped in.
The mix included:

  • 120g frozen banana (107cal)
  • a huuuge handful of baby spinach (5cal)
  • 1 tbsp ground flax (30cal)
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (40cal)
  • 15g Sunspire peanut butter chips (80cal)
  • a few ice cubes
=262 calories

Dinner this evening was a recipe that I have made before- Yoga Hot Pot
IMG_2745
Seriously, amazingly delicious! Plus, it makes a ton and it's even better as leftovers! It's super comforting and oh-so-satisfying with a healthy kick from the spices :]
My version included:
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil (120cal)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (60cal)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, ground
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets (60cal)
  • 1 smallish fennel bulb, sliced (70cal)
  • 2 carrots, chopped (50cal)
  • 1 zucchini, sliced (20cal)
  • 1 (28 oz.) can plum tomatoes (175cal) + 1/2 can water
  • 2/3 cup red lentils (453cal)
  • 1 can chickpeas (420cal), drained and rinsed
=1428 calories for entire recipe
IMG_2746
Basically you just saute the onion, garlic, ginger and spices in the coconut oil until the onions are translucent. Then add the other veggies and saute for 5-8 minutes. Next, add in the tomatoes +water and lentils and boil for 25 minutes. Add in the chickpeas and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Top with fresh cilantro and feta cheese and serve!
IMG_2750
I had maybe 1/4 of the recipe (476cal), which is about 20 ounces, topped with cilantro and 2 oz. of feta (150cal).
I also had two tiny pieces of toasted french bread with butter on the side (maybe 150cal at the most)
=776 calories

My dessert this evening was a slice of homemade Hot Milk Sponge Cake with Whipped Cream and Balsamic Berries, MMMMMM! Recipe to come over on my other blog.
IMG_2764
=maybe 500 calories?

I am NOT looking forward to working on my English paper tomorrow :(.

=1538 calories for the day

No comments:

Post a Comment